There is always an opportunity to begin again. It is called today
You already know the magical night that is coming soon for kids and no so kids: it is time for chocolate and pumpkin cakes , it is time for Halloween (See my) post last year) Despite it being an imported party, kids love it. Thinking of an appropriate place to go with this recipe, I said to myself: witches, ghosts, legends, castles... I have it!! The Edinburgh Castle.
In this gloomy atmosphere of ghosts and castles nothing better than a good cake. This multilayer is elegant, original and not scary because... it is delicious! The Mash of pumpkin makes this chocolate cake unbeatable. don't you think so? Come with me to the kitchen and you will learn how to keep your guests astonished.
- 330 g of flour €0.17
- 100 g of pure cocoa powder €0.60
- 16 g yeast powder €0.10
- 8 grams of sodium bicarbonate €0.03
- 7 g of powdered cinnamon €0.07
- 6 gr Walnut nutmeg €0.10
- 195 g buttermilk (butter milk). In British supermarkets or sometimes in Lidl. If you don't have it, you can replace it by the same amount of milk with a dash of vinegar, or the same amount of creamy nonfat yogurt €0.24
- 375 g of pumpkin puree (find HERE the recipe) €1,00
- 1 tablespoon and a half of pure vanilla extract €0.52
- 260 g of butter €1,00
- 320 g dark brown sugar €0.38
- 340 g of white sugar €0.34
- 5 eggs €0.62
For the vanilla and cheese buttercream
- 400 g of type Philadelphia cream cheese very cold €2,00
- 200 g of butter at room temperature €0.80
- 400 g of icing sugar €1,50
- orange dye (no matter liquid, gel or powder, but I always use gel) brand wilton, americolor or sugar flair
For the chocolate glazing
- 120 g of dark chocolate €1.00
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup or corn syrup €0.35
- 1 tablespoon butter €0.08
- 100 g of liquid cream €0.25
Total €11,15, i.e. 0.92 per serving of this terrifying cake with which you will not go to hell... but that you rozaréis paradise!
1 Preheat oven to 175 ° C
2. Grease 3 molds of 20 cm in diameter. Put a parchment paper on the bottom of each mold, which we shall also grease to ensure that we do not have problems unfolding the baked cakes. If we don't have 3 molds same size, then we will bake one cake after another.
3 In a bowl mix the flour, yeast, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon and cocoa until it has a uniform color. Put aside.
4. in another bowl, mix the buttermilk, vanilla, and pumpkin puree. Set aside.
5. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter with the sugar until the mixture is foamy and soft and has a lighter color.
6 Add eggs one at a time so that the egg is completely mixed in the butter before adding the next.
7. Add one-third of the flour mixture and mix. Then one-third of the mixture of mashed pumpkin and mix. Add another part of flour and then pumpkin pureed until everything is completed.
8. Divide the dough into three equal amounts. You can also divide it in four if you want to have a four layer cake, but I went for a 3 one.
9 Bake at 175 ° C for 30-35 minutes or until you introduce a stick in the centre and it comes out clear.
10 Cool a few minutes before removing from pan. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
11. Meanwhile, we can make the frosting. In a bowl of electric mixer combine butter with icing sugar. Be careful to do it first manually since the sugar will splatter, so start by covering the bowl with a cloth and at low speed. Once there is no danger to have sugar everywhere, you can increase the speed of your mixer to medium high.
12. When butter is pale in colour, add the cheese cream and beat until the consistency is of a whipped cream: very creamy and soft.
13 Add orange coloring until reaching the desired tone. Set aside.
14. Once the cakes are completely cool (about 3 hours), begin to fill them.
15. in order to assemble the cake, we have to level the cakes so that they have all the same thickness.
16. Place the first cake and cover with the cream cheese frosting.
17 Place the second cake on top and cover with the cream.
18 Place the third cake and completely cover the cake with a thin layer of cream. Do not worry if it is not covered at all because we will give another coverage. It is important that it is well smooth.
19 Let refrigerate for 15 minutes.
20. With the help of a spatula we will be covering the cake with more frosting polishing the sides of the cake. For this operation, a turntable is ideal because it will be much easier. The spatula should be almost in the upright position to go polishing the full cake. With patience you will have a beautiful cake.
21 Let the cake cool in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
22. Now let's make the chocolate glazing. Mix in a bowl the chocolate with syrup and butter.
23 Boil the cream and pour over chocolate. Leave to stand for one minute.
24. With the help of a spatula mix circling until the chocolate is completely melted. Let stand for 5 minutes.
25 Tip over the top of the cake leaving chocolate drop sides... Surprise!
- Prepare your favorite recipe of chocolate cake and fill it with this delicious cheese frosting
- Freeze the cake until you are going to consume it. You can decorate it before or after freezing it.
- In half an hour out of the freezer, it is ready to take as freshly made.
- Level of difficulty: medium
- Preparation time: 120 min.
- Servings: 12
- This cake will not be death by chocolate... but it will be near. Its soft and spicy pumpkin cake has a very characteristic taste. To accompany it, I recommend a Frangélico (The Italian Piedmont hazelnut liqueur). Serve it cold or with lots of ice and for only €11.00 the bottle, you can have a nice chat after the cake.
Thank you very much for the recipe Loleta. It looks incredible. Tomorrow we are going to launch into the adventure of preparing it, it's gonna be fun lol
I wanted to ask a few questions:
-Maple or corn syrup is important? Is it replaceable by a more common element? Is that gives me thing buy it just to use it for this recipe.
-It is important to use a mold of 20 cm? I have I think is 27 cm, I guess with these amounts not shall I adjust at all, no?
Hello Paul!. Thank you very much for your comment and I am glad a lot of you dare to prepare it. Maple syrup is not essential but if gives a unique flavor to the chocolate coating. You can replace it with candy for pancakes, although it will not be equal, or a tablespoon of brown sugar you will need to add to the cream to boil them together and thus undo the sugar. Regarding mold, if you use one of 27 cm not going out as high layers and you will not have a beautiful appearance, but if that is the mold you have, use it even though in that case I would recommend you to make only two layers leave you high. The cake is super with two layers. Sorry that you have not answered before but I have been liadísima and so far I have not read the post. Thank you very much for being here and I hope you stay. By the way, if you can, send me a photo of the cake that makes me very excited. A hug.
Thanks to this recipe, I found the favorite cake of my 6 year old daughter.
Until then only the vanilla liked or chocolate, nothing more. But after preparing this combination on halloween admitted me that I love you! Meanwhile, this year to the same combination for your birthday cake!
So thank you Lola, I try many recipes but this is a 10!
Hello KDulces amaia, thank you very much for your comment. I'm very much glad that liked your daughter. It is a cake that is very tasty and very juicy. How are the ones that have to trick them all the time!, but pumpkin makes this cake different from others. You'll see the biscuits that are on the way because you are equally surprised. A big kiss.
I was delighted, they are some beautiful cakes and they see that you are my rich. Many kisses!
Hello Guacimara, thank you very much for your words and thank you very much for being here with me. A hug.
I love your pie pumpkin, a unique presentation, I have to make one for my granddaughter to see if I have time, kisses!
Hello Maria Eugenia, you then have to do. Of a truth that is not anything difficult. It is how to make two cakes but with a different presentation and as say unique, so I encourage you that your granddaughter is going to hallucinate with his super grandmother. A big kiss and thank you for being here with me
Hello! It is a lovely cake, I love already I have almost all of the ingredients, but wanted to ask you one thing. Is it important to make the layers one by one? Does do something to make a unique cake and then cut it?
Nothing happens but you have to be careful when it comes to cutting them that you are all equal. Sure you leave 10. A hug and thank you very much for being here with me
Hello: Made this cake several times and no doubt the cake is the best I've eaten. The delicious cake and very good presentation. Thanks a lot
Thank you Mary for telling it to me. You do not know the illusion that makes me. A besazo guapa
Hello Lolita, I love this recipe, and the truth is that it looks beautiful to you!
I wanted to ask you one thing, why have I already made this cake several times and I never get that color, what color mark do you use? Because I have already used liquid dye and gel from several brands and I have achieved nothing like it, in fact, I just made it and frosting had looked great, super rich, but I have thrown so much dye trying to look for the color of your photos that now tastes until bad so much that I have thrown it... ?
Would I send you a picture so you could see the color and the cake? but I don't know how to attach it...
Well a greeting and thank you in advance!!
Hello Pigeon, for I for this type of colors I usually use wilton, americolor or sugarflair. Anyway the dyes don't always work the same and sometimes they give a lot of roll, but it came out like this to me the first time. The dye doesn't taste good if it's good so even if you put micho it shouldn't give you a different flavor. What dye have you used? A hug and thank you so much for being around with me. I'll send you a kiss.