La Galette de Rois in a typical traditional cake in France and Belgium and which is celebrated the Epiphany of the Magi. It is easy to find the first day of the year and is part of the tradition of pastry of our neighbors.
The Galette des Rois of makes with puff pastry and filled with a cream of almonds and frangipane is. As well as our The Three Kings' Cake (Roscón de Reyes) hides inside a bean and also as ours is sold with a paper coroina. Who found the bean in the cake puts the Crown and is the King of the House that day.
La Galette de Rois I love because I love the puff pastry. It is a very easy recipe (because you always choose to buy pasta and not do it) so that the ready at a time and often accompanies snacks in my house Epiphany when the roscón has passed to better life and there are no longer the crumbs.
When you try this Galette de Rois are not going to stop make it throughout the year because in addition to fa´cil and simple is delicious and tend to like at all because it has a very simple but very rich flavors. Let's go for it!
- 250 ml milk
- 1 tablespoon pure liquid vanilla or vanilla paste
- 4 egg yolks
- 150 g sugar
- 30 g corn starch
- 130 g of ground almonds
- 100 g softened butter
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons of water with a tablespoon of sugar
1. to make the frangipane mix cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of milk in a bowl cold. Book.
2. put the milk with the vanilla in a saucepan until it boils.
3. in a bowl beat the egg yolks with the sugar until they have doubled their volume, they have clarified the color and are foamy.
4. when milk is boiling pour slowly and carefully onto the yolks and when all well blended, return to the Pan by adding cornstarch. Cook over heat without stirring until the cream thickens.
5 remove from heat and pour onto a large bowl. Add the ground almonds and mix with rods. Add the butter and mix again. Allow to cool at room temperature or in the refrigerator before using it.
6. place a base of pastry on work surface to paint an edge of about 2.5 cm. put the filling into the edge, and if we want. This is the time to add a bean. I did it because I get to the roulade. Cover with another puff pastry dough and press edges. With the help of a fork we well sealed edges.
7. with the tip of a sharp knife we make a drawing of a Sun on the surface of the galette with care do not get to cut the dough. We start from the Centre to the edge with slightly curved shape and repeat until all the cake is this drawing in the form of Sun. We pincelamos with the beaten egg and make some holes on the cake. Let stand 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
8. precalentanos the oven to 200 º heat up and down. We introduce the cake for 10 minutes and this past time down the temperature to 170 ° until it is completely browned (about 15 minutes).
9. Meanwhile Cook the water with the sugar in a saucepan. When it is boiling, remove the cake from the oven and paint it with the mixture. We return to the oven up the temperature to 200 degrees for a couple of minutes more.
10 remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack.
- Add a handful of coconut shredded to the cream to have a distinct Galette de Rois
- Preparation time: 1 hour
- Difficulty: easy
- Servings: 10