This foie gras cured in salt is delicious and the pleasure of preparing duck liver at home is unbareable. When these dates come, I never lack in house of some foie gras, I have cured it in salt, a delicious . The pleasure of cooking foie gras at home is something that I discovered long ago.
I learned to devein it a long time ago. It. is something easy but delicate. You have to leave the liver to room temperature so it is easier to handle it. And you should go with caring, looking for small veins to remove them with your fingers. If you leave, them, it is not something nice to find when eating the foie.
So you have to be patience. The foie gras is divided in two lobes. One large that has few veins, and a smaller one that usually bring many more. With patience and care you have to clean them from veins.
But if you do not dare are not sure how to do it, then you can always buy a liver devained but uncooked. it, I it buy frozen but with veins because they are cheaper than the ones ready to cook with good price all the year through, , and I prepare it occasionally because ifoie gras is loved at home, and this pone cured in salt is one of my favorites.
When Christmas comes, my sister is always queing, asking for her foie and although I normally prepare it in the oven or even the microwave, this year it has been much easier and I have prepared a foie gras cured in salt. Still I'm surprised how easy that has been and how good is tastes so hands to the work and let's go for it.
- a large gauze
- 150 cl cognac or brandy
- 1 foie gras of some 400-500 g to temperature environment
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of Walnut nutmeg ground
- 1 tsp. sugar
- a pinch of cinnamon
- 2 kilos of course salt
1 it first that soak the gauze in the cognac. In a bowl put the brandy and bath gauze. dress. The leave while prepare our duck liver.
2.Devain the foie gras. Remember to temper it and do it with care. Set aside.
3. drain well the gauze and stretch it over the table. Must at least 2 layers of gauze to well protect the foie from the salt. Place the liver wide open. Sprinkle with black pepper freshly ground and give turn it upside down.
4. sprinkle with Walnut nutmeg (best if is freshly ground), with the sugar and the cinnamon. Finish with pepper black freshly ground.
5. now we need to roll the foie gras pressing well so there are no hollows.Once the roll is fomred, will cover with the gauzen pressing well closing the curler. Then close well the sides. What we need is that is well pressed roll well cover by the gauze so that there are no parts exposed to the salt, no direct contact with salt.
6. on a large enough container, put a thick layer of salt. Place on it the foie gras and cover completely with salt fat. Leave in the fridge for about 30-32 hours depending on the size.
7. after this time, remove from the refrigerator. Remove the foie gras carefully. It is important to be careful so that the salt does not fall on the already cured liver. Set aside the gauze.
8 wrap well in plastic wrap twice, and let stand another 24 hours in the refrigerator before serving it. You can also cut it and freeze it directly. Serve with toasted bread . Gauze can be reused if well washed.
- Serve the foie with your favorite jam
- It is perfect with caramelized goat cheese
- Preparation time: 20 minutes + 32 hours curing + 24 hours of rest
- Difficulty: easy
- Servings: 8