"I learned that you can't go backwards. The essence of life is always going forward"
Already smell orange blossom, the almond trees long ago that they are in bloom and the Sun starts to chop a little more. It gets dark later and smells of incense through the streets. There is no doubt: the Semana Santa It is in doors and with it the omelettes cod, spinach soup, porridge, with chocolate crumbs and other so many dishes from this period.
Holy week in Andalusia you know we live it in a special way, it starts spring and own feelings brethren and the beginnings of good weather come together. We have the preparations for Easter and that today the dish by tradition: the traditional torrijas. Which you have prepared me the romendo my friend Alicia, teacher among the teachers of kitchen and as they could not be otherwise, are super delicious, different to the usual, and original.
They are a French toast that although for some are not really because they do not carry eggs and cinnamon, like all. Don't expect the traditional of the toast flavor because you will not find it. It's very original French toast made with coconut milk and covered in a candy crujente. Ye shall give him a touch different from the life.
- Level of difficulty: easy
- For 6 people
- Preparation time: 15 min.
- 1 can of coconut milk €1.85
- 1 type bread brioche or dulce de leche (if cannot find it you can use for French toast sliced bread, but in this case, you'll have to add coconut milk 2 tablespoons of icing sugar) €1,00
- 10 tablespoons sugar €0.30
- a little water €0.05
Total, €3,20 for six people. Incredible! and dirt cheap price
1. open the can of coconut milk and pour onto a deep plate. Well discard the lumps with the help of a fork. If the bread that we use is brioche or milk, this is the time to add the two tablespoons of icing sugar. In this case, mix carefully until it is well blended.
2. place bread slices on a plate. On each slice, put a couple of tablespoons of coconut milk. Wait a few minutes until it has absorbed well.
3 turn the toast and add other two tablespoons of coconut milk for this face. Let stand a few minutes.
4. in a frying pan put 3 tablespoons of sugar and a little water. When the syrup is fat (when it starts to do pompitas and sugar is thick), add the toast. A little toast until it takes a bit of color, and then give the return. Toast on the other side. It should be with a golden brown caramel. Hence, appearing toasted.
5 move to plant kitchen paper, and let dry the toast, so it dries candy. Do them not directly on a dish in which you serve them because the candy dries, they remain stuck.
6 repeat the operation until all the toast have caramelized.
7. once the candy has cooled, transfer to a plate. I serve them solo, but Alicia recommended me to serve them freshly made with a little ice cream, which are also delicious. It is another different way of preparing the toast of life. I hope you like them!