Today I bring you my latest version of the twisted roll of Kings. It is a very soft and juicy roscón did last year but for the little problem of health that I had, so I couldn't take time to Kings. So this year I have it more than ready for you and have taken to get the video and that you can do so more easily
I flavored it with orange because I love the flavor that gives you and not the rest of candied fruit cool me nothing so despite my mother (who loves them) this year we have deleted them and I notice that they have done me the wave several times at home.
You only need this roulade is patience. The pre-ferment and the wash in the fridge make the roulade is very fluffy and hold very well once baked. We can do it in three days or in one, as you prefer it. You can start in the morning and end in the evening night. But I prefer to do it gradually and finish it in three days: the first day in the evening prepare the pre-ferment and flavoured milk. 2nd left to weigh several times, and the morning of the third day bake it and filled all the House of love and a scent that invites to enjoy.
Of course there are more quick recipes but this I promise that you will like. Leaving, slow food slow. That will be my motto this year. We enjoy the simple things without rushing. Take a break from time to time. Enjoy a coffee in hot water, make bread at home from some lentils chup chup or a homemade broth. There are things easy, nothing complicated, but that my give me a lot of pleasure because I invite you to enjoy them.
And Yes, is that our lives are not so, that we have to run many times, but this year, think I force to make the effort of at least once a week and enjoy watching the time, do things thoroughly without running. Giving them time to time. As with this roulade. I hope you enjoy happy new year and happy Reyes!
The pre-ferment or sourdough of the roulade (the night before)
- 100 g of flour strength
- 60 g of warm milk
- 2 g fresh yeast Baker
For milk flavoured (the night before)
- 75 g whole (approximately) milk
- the skin of 1 orange
- a stick of cinnamon
For the dough
- all the sourdough (162 g)
- 335 g of flour strength - as the roscón has much stronger have fluffier flour butter and sugar will come out
- 5 g salt
- 60 g of milk flavored with cinnamon and citrus
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 110 g sugar
- 85 g butter
- 30 honey or syrup of glucose or invert sugar or golden syrup, that is what I used because I had honey at home and is a syrup of honey that you can find in shops and supermarkets English
- 3 teaspoons of rum - you can add a little more if you like it a lot, or put less if you want both ron. The function is only flavoring
- average orange zest
- 16 g fresh yeast
- 50 g candied orange cut into small pieces (optional)
For decorating the cake
- 1 egg, beaten
- almond crocanti
- candied orange wheels
- Pearl sugar
- icing sugar
1. prepare the pre-ferment or sourdough. They have two options: get it and let it stand for a minimum of 3 hours, or make it and let stand overnight in the refrigerator. I chose, as always, to prepare it the night before to win in aromas and flavors. This mix in a bowl the flour and yeast, undoing it with your hands until crumbs are imperceptible. Well linked once, add the milk warm (neither hot nor cold, just warm) and mix with hands until all ingredients are well integrated. No need to pass it on to the countertop. We can mix in the same bowl until dough is well linked. Leave stand for one hour at room temperature, covered with a cloth or plastic wrap (I use a shower CAP that fits well into any size Bowl and reused over and over again). After this time we can,
- well use it, or
- well pass it to the refrigerator so that it rests all night, which is what I did. An hour before you start the roscón, take out the preferemento of the fridge so it tempered.
2 make the milk infusion. So we put in a saucepan with orange zest and cinnamon milk and leave to infuse medium for a few minutes. Remove from fire and can
- well use it, or
- well let stand overnight to milk take the flavour of fruit and cinnamon.
3. now we already spent to prepare the mass of the roulade. HOMEMADE PRIMER: In a large bowl put the pre-ferment, flour of strength, vanilla, salt, flavoured milk, rum and honey or molasses (I use dark syrup or molasses because honey I fails to thrill, but for example my sister prefers it (, so depending on your taste), fresh yeast, orange zest and two eggs. Mix well using a single hand until ingredients are well integrated and it is not anything loose in the bowl. Can also be done with an electric mixer with the hook accessory beating until there are no crumbs in the bowl.
4 we then move to the second KNEADING on our countertop work where we put the no nothing of flour dough. As the dough sticks, our first intention would be to add more flour to make us sticking, but that would make them lose the proportions and our roscón lose fluffiness. What you need to do is knead and leave between kneading and kneading is fundamental to achieving a roulade of success. So we spent our dough to the counter and began to knead. Help of a scraper to take off the ground when necessary. We knead stretching and folding the dough for a minute or two, no more. Then let it stand 5 minutes, covered with a cloth. Five minutes mass will be much better, is easier to work and will be much less sticky, so we return to knead for a minute nothing more. These same times can be respected by always using the electric mixer with dough hook.
5 then add the sugar to the dough, but we will add it in 3 times: we stretch the dough slightly with your hands and put one of the sugar over crushing hands and rubbing that sticking well. Sugar softens the dough so it will be easier still kneading. You have to knead until we notice no grains of sugar. Then again, with another part of sugar and then with the last part. Once integrated all the sugar, let rest another five minutes. The dough will be very wet but that will be good. We knead a couple of minutes and move on to the next step. It can also be done with the electric mixer such and as shown in the video respecting the times and adding the sugar in two times.
6. now it is the turn of butter and third KNEADING. We must have the cold butter into cubes (does not need to be directly from the fridge but not very soft). If you have already done roscón, you can incorporate it all hit, but if you have not done so before, it is better to incorporate in two times. For this purpose we knead for a few seconds the mass and flattened it slightly to fit over the cubes of butter (first 2/3 of the butter). We begin to knead. We fold the dough over itself until the butter is inside and the mass and began to knead. As we go kneading dough will stick more and more and the butter out of the sides. And the best thing? This step is also possible with the hook to knead our electric blender.
7 we knead taking the dough between your hands and fingers until it is well blended. Add the chopped candied orange if you want it to be (I do not put, but I made one to my mother and liked it very much, so to your liking). At that time began to knead for about 4 or 5 minutes: we stretch and sit on itself, stretch, and sit on itself... five minutes. Slowly but surely. If we get tired, we can knead a couple of minutes or three, then stop 2 or 3 minutes to let stand the dough (covered with a cloth or with Bowl upside down), and then resume mixing for two or three minutes more. And always remember: nothing EXTRA flour and the rest KNEAD only LA MASA. I made three stops with five minutes each until finally the mass began to take off his hands, so patience.
8. now our dough is ready for the next rest. Put the dough in our Bowl and let it rest covered with a cloth or plastic wrap (you know that I use my shower CAP to make bread always and that is the use in all bodies of fermentation), during a couple of hours at room temperature until it ferment and fills with air bubbles.
9 passed this standing time there to Deglaze and tª dough. Remove the dough from the bowl and put it in lightly greased countertop, and left to lose air boleando it: with the help of the exterior sides of the hands push the mass forming a ball so that the mass will be taken and we can form the roulade. But first you have to leave stand our mass into a ball for a few 15 minutes on the same countertop covered with a cloth.
10. once the dough has rested, will be more relaxed and will be easier to work. We rub your hands with a little oil to us and make a hole in the center of the ball and we will putting hands making more and larger hole and work it as if it were a leash until we have a large-size thread : we stretch until our threads occupy the entire shelf of the oven.
Option 1 - we are going to bake the next morning: leave stand half an hour at room temperature and cover with plastic wrap. We had to refrigerate until the next morning. We get the twisted roll of the fridge and we put it in a dry and warm place. We Preheat oven and bake last half an hour.
Option 2 - Let's bake as soon as we can: leave stand for another 2 hours and a half or three hours.
11 we preheat the oven to 180 º heat up and down (or 170 degrees) if we use hot air. We put on the hand's down the bean and the gift and we paint with egg beaten with care because the mass at this time is very fragile. Cover with almond crisp, Orange confit in foil and Pearl sugar (or sugar wet with a few drops of water) and bake.
12 last half-hour we bake environment 18-20 minutes taking care that not browned over. After all the work now comes the easiest but the most delicate, so that we stick to the oven from minute 16: if not it has gold, the temperature went up a little or put the fan. Once you are baking, let it cool completely on a wire rack.
13. If we are going to fill open it and fill. I chose to leave it as is, juicy and tender and cover it with icing sugar. Soft and with a delicious taste of vanilla and orange. Perfect for our morning of Kings.
- Decorate with candied fruit if you prefer
- Preparation time: 7 hours to three days
- Difficulty: easy
- Servings: 10