Cakes and quiches are very helpful in the kitchen. They are easy, fast and are a good solution whenever someone shows up suddenly at home for lunch or dinner and this salmon. On top of this, the potatoes and salmon pie that I bring today is delicious.
This salmon and potato cake is covered with dough and is very rich. The filling is cooked together within the oven. Once prepared, cook in the oven while you can devote yourself to something else. The original recipe of salmon and potato cake called for smoked salmon, but I don't like cooked smoked salmon, so I decided to try it with fresh salmon. It was absolutely delicious are there were no leftovers!
This recipe is an adaptation of a cake of salmon and potatoes from Paul Hollywood, an English chef who makes some delicious savoury pastries. He does it with filo paste but I chose to make a quick version with some ready-made pie crust I bought at the supermarket because I was running out of time. We can use film pastry sheets that are very easy to use but it needs more time. So I decided to go for this express version pie
I used a new mold that I just give away. It is a new line of molds and making the dough is cooked perfectly and above all make it crispy and a nice tan color which both work cost me in my previous mould.
In this type of covered cakes, I always use my black bird. It is a porcelain bird and which is placed in the center of the cake and making that the dough is well done since the juices of the fish can evaporate so it is not inside and filling is ready.
All these things are not necessary and obviously you can do it in a traditional mold and also without the bird, but you'll have to make holes with a fork in the top layer of dough so the liquid can evaporate, and above all, you will have to adjust the oven times, increasing them slightly so that your dough is as crunchy as mine was.
Serve it with some salad and mike it a main course.
- 75 g of olive oil extra virgin €0,26
- 1 large onion, cut into slices thin €0.20
- Salt €0.02
- a few grains of black and pink pepper €0.10
- 800 g of red potatoes (they are better for oven cook) €0.90
- 2 ready made pie crusts €2.20
- 400 g fresh salmon - you must ask the fishmonger to take out the filets without skin and to cut them into filets or you can do it yourself at home but that takes time €4.80
- 100 ml of cream €0.50
- 1 beaten egg €0.12
Total €8.24 divided between 12 portions coming from 30 cm mould, means €68 per serving. Isn't it irresistible? Yess, let's go and cook it!
1. Preheat oven to 180 C. When you turn it on, remember to put an aluminum sheet on the bottom. A little cream may drop and this will avoid us from cleaning after!
2. Heat oil in a pan and sauté the onion over medium-low heat until it begins to brown.
3. Boil peeled potatoes in a pan with warm water and a pinch of salt. There are people that say it is better to boil potatoes with the skin but it is easier to peel the potatoes before boiling them.
4 Since the pastry dough has contains a lot of butter you do not need to grease the mold. Place the dough in your pan covering well the entire bottom and the walls. Place the black bird in the center of the mold. I used a large 30 cm pan because we were many to eat!
5. cut sliced cooked potatoes and test of salt. Place a layer covering all the mould well. As we have thought are salt, rectify and add a few grinds of pepper. I take two kinds grains and in a mortar, crush them. Continue with a layer of onion and other salmon, salt and pepper. Finish with a layer of boiled potatoes. Add salt and pepper.
6. in a bowl, mix cream with the egg, beat well and pour onto the pie. Cover with the other pastry dough (if you use the bird you will have to make a hole in the Center).
7 bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the dough is golden
8 Let the cake stand for 15 minutes before serving so that it is seated well. Enjoy this cake alone or with some salad.
- If you prefer you can use film paste. You have to use 8-sheets painting each layer with melted butter.
- Replace salmon with your favorite fish or minced meat fish
- You can replace all of the cream with eggs, but it will not be so creamy
- Cut it into small pieces and serve it as an appetizer
- Difficulty: easy
- Preparation time: 60 minutes
- Servings: 12
- Serve your plate of a white Rueda verdejo wine from Arribeño €1.80