Cakes and quiches are very helpful in the kitchen. They are easy, fast and are a good solution whenever someone shows up suddenly at home for lunch or dinner and this salmon. On top of this, the potatoes and salmon pie that I bring today is delicious.
This salmon and potato cake is covered with dough and is very rich. The filling is cooked together within the oven. Once prepared, cook in the oven while you can devote yourself to something else. The original recipe of salmon and potato cake called for smoked salmon, but I don't like cooked smoked salmon, so I decided to try it with fresh salmon. It was absolutely delicious are there were no leftovers!
This recipe is an adaptation of a cake of salmon and potatoes from Paul Hollywood, an English chef who makes some delicious savoury pastries. He does it with filo paste but I chose to make a quick version with some ready-made pie crust I bought at the supermarket because I was running out of time. We can use film pastry sheets that are very easy to use but it needs more time. So I decided to go for this express version pie
I used a new mold that I just give away. It is a new line of molds and making the dough is cooked perfectly and above all make it crispy and a nice tan color which both work cost me in my previous mould.
In this type of covered cakes, I always use my black bird. It is a porcelain bird and which is placed in the center of the cake and making that the dough is well done since the juices of the fish can evaporate so it is not inside and filling is ready.
All these things are not necessary and obviously you can do it in a traditional mold and also without the bird, but you'll have to make holes with a fork in the top layer of dough so the liquid can evaporate, and above all, you will have to adjust the oven times, increasing them slightly so that your dough is as crunchy as mine was.
Serve it with some salad and mike it a main course.
- 75 g of olive oil extra virgin €0,26
- 1 large onion, cut into slices thin €0.20
- Salt €0.02
- a few grains of black and pink pepper €0.10
- 800 g of red potatoes (they are better for oven cook) €0.90
- 2 ready made pie crusts €2.20
- 400 g fresh salmon - you must ask the fishmonger to take out the filets without skin and to cut them into filets or you can do it yourself at home but that takes time €4.80
- 100 ml of cream €0.50
- 1 beaten egg €0.12
Total €8.24 divided between 12 portions coming from 30 cm mould, means €68 per serving. Isn't it irresistible? Yess, let's go and cook it!
1. Preheat oven to 180 C. When you turn it on, remember to put an aluminum sheet on the bottom. A little cream may drop and this will avoid us from cleaning after!
2. Heat oil in a pan and sauté the onion over medium-low heat until it begins to brown.
3. Boil peeled potatoes in a pan with warm water and a pinch of salt. There are people that say it is better to boil potatoes with the skin but it is easier to peel the potatoes before boiling them.
4 Since the pastry dough has contains a lot of butter you do not need to grease the mold. Place the dough in your pan covering well the entire bottom and the walls. Place the black bird in the center of the mold. I used a large 30 cm pan because we were many to eat!
5. cut sliced cooked potatoes and test of salt. Place a layer covering all the mould well. As we have thought are salt, rectify and add a few grinds of pepper. I take two kinds grains and in a mortar, crush them. Continue with a layer of onion and other salmon, salt and pepper. Finish with a layer of boiled potatoes. Add salt and pepper.
6. in a bowl, mix cream with the egg, beat well and pour onto the pie. Cover with the other pastry dough (if you use the bird you will have to make a hole in the Center).
7 bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the dough is golden
8 Let the cake stand for 15 minutes before serving so that it is seated well. Enjoy this cake alone or with some salad.
- If you prefer you can use film paste. You have to use 8-sheets painting each layer with melted butter.
- Replace salmon with your favorite fish or minced meat fish
- You can replace all of the cream with eggs, but it will not be so creamy
- Cut it into small pieces and serve it as an appetizer
- Difficulty: easy
- Preparation time: 60 minutes
- Servings: 12
- Serve your plate of a white Rueda verdejo wine from Arribeño €1.80
I will make this recipe as a starter for new year's Eve dinner. I don't have all the time that I earned, I prepare it the day before and give a space heater oven before serving?
Hello Elena, it seems perfect for a new year's Eve dinner so it forward! You can prepare it before without problem: don't let it Brown at all when you do it, so can finish at the same time to heat it and bake it. No one will know that it is not fresh at all! You to spend happy holidays and that 2015 is the best for everyone. A hug and thank you very much for being here with me!
Loleta, a friend has recommended me your blog and I rush with this cake... Let's see what that I'm because I don't have a lot of practice... A question only, I understand that onion thrown on top of the salmon, no? Thank you, Ana
Hello Ana, then I'm glad you're here with me! To your question Yes, onions are placed over the potatoes before the salmon. Thank you for asking (already have corrected the recipe to leave no doubts). I hope you like it because this cake is very rich. A hug and thank you very much for being here with me.
hello loleta, gorgeous that recipe so good this pointed it I still do not have bird chimney I love the truth is that is a super cake salty that I love usually take whenever I travel brtánicas land and we love soil pierce the surface , but you must ask the kings. :)
aaaaah kisses large piece I forget Cornish pasties well as we love them. more kisses from Menorca
Marga Hello, I read you happy day. The bird is great for pie really closed and the dough is not crispy on the bottom is over. Ask for it at the Kings you'll love. Thank you for writing but especially thank you for being here with me and be so affectionate. Big kiss :)
Hello Lola: what differentiates q say there are between red-skinned potatoes and the other to choose them in this recipe?
Hi Lily. I chose them because this type of pastry often used red potatoes which bakes and handle very well, but if you want to use another. The only thing is that the cooking time will probably vary because the Red is softer than for example the new. A hug and thanks for writing and be here with me :)
Hello Loleta. You've known for Canal Cocina and since then I follow. I love your recipes. A little question: how is called the piece "the bird"? I didn't and I'm looking for it, but not be as called and so far I have not found it. Many thanks and greetings.
Hi Carmen, called foot Bird, or bird of cakes. I leave a link to Amazon where you have it. Hugs and happy year 2017!
Hello! I am in love with this recipe since the vi, and I thought that it is time to do it, today who, precisely, I bought two fillets of salmon. But I have a problem, and it is that my husband does not support the cream... I shared this recipe on Facebook, indeed, and he commented, it would be very rich but without the cream... What substitute might use that don't know much to milk? For example, the taste of butter is and similar, cannot be with them... do you think that it would give the pego use evaporated milk? If, I note, you think of something to see if I can change the salmon always baked or in puff pastry with spinach
Hi Ana, pu snpuedes use evaporated milk but you aggregate is like mine who flees the cream and tell you that here is not you noticed. One trick is to add enough pepper and nutmeg and milk flavor disappears. Also crazy little cream and not going to notice as you'll see. You can also bracket a little stock, but it will not be like texture although it will also be rich. Finally you can put cream half half broth and stir before adding. Let me know. A q taxi and do not forget to send me the recipe!