This recipe for chickpeas with tomato and eggs has been a wild card at home for a long time. The same goes for me for a meal as for a dinner
- 1 jar of cooked chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds powder
- 2 large onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 50 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar (optional)
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 bunch of chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 can can canned chopped tomato
- some saffron
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4-5 eggs
Heat the oil over medium heat in a skillet or pan.
Add the chopped onions, peppers and garlic and sauté for 5-10 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
Mix ground cumin, coriander, chili powder, chili flakes, salt and pepper. Stir well and let it cook for 1-2 minutes.
Add the tomato puree and diced tomatoes. Stir until well combined.
Reduce the heat and let it simmer for 10-15 minutes until the sauce thickens.
Now, add the cooked chickpeas, stir well and let it cook for 1-2 minutes.
Make 4-5 wells in the sauce and break the eggs in each well. Sprinkle a pinch of salt and pepper over the eggs.
Cover the pan and let the eggs simmer for 10-15 minutes until ready.
Once the eggs are ready, remove from heat, garnish with some chopped cilantro or parsley and serve immediately.
Tips and Tricks
- You can prepare the sofrito with the tomato and curdle the eggs at the last moment
- Freeze very well without eggs
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Difficulty: easy
- Servings: 4-5