"Life is like a mirror: smiles at you if the sighted smiling"
According to the book "The rice cooker" from Roger Martinez, with a foreword by the master Adriathe origin of the black rice comes from the use of squid ink by the fishermen of Levant and Catalonia. The original and authentic is to use those ink tanks of contain squid and these in turn, cook them the paella. If we do not have fresh ink on the market bags of ink there is black color that comes to replace (without being the same, but serves) as coloring which is extracted from the squid or cuttlefish. I use it very often and with everything and with that, at home is one of the favorite rice.
Not explain why, maybe the Mediterranean character, but the truth is that when I go to the markets, and I enter in the area of fish and shellfish, all vividly placed gender, lined and covered in ice, comes to head rice paella with seafood (yellow), but when turn the view toward the cuttlefish or squid, turns me on the bulb, plin!: black rice. Apparently the flavor is similar, but even with the same ingredients, the bottom of the taste stands between ink and saffron. Some expert chefs argue that black rice is just "different" by the exotic color change. Like I say, for tastes, colors, and therefore worth the black. In addition, I have a special affection because it long ago, during a special visit to the Puerto de Santa María, in Cadiz, I tried it in the restaurant The Lighthouse of PuertoI remember also that cooked it with red and green peppers called me much attention.
In addition, in my opinion, is the rice which is better the ali-oli. I know that defenders and detractors of the sauces that accompany the paella since it steals their flavor, and I agree, but I have to say, that a little bit, I like particularly in this (never in the flesh). That Yes, a mayonnaise home well done, with egg (not in the old way), but well done. Usually prepared in the blender with an egg, a pinch of salt, a chorreoncito of lemon juice, sunflower oil as a basis for all of the mixture, and at the end a tad of olive. Finally, to give it color, I add a few leaves of parsley.
Speaking of markets, what so if we take a tour of the new Madrid?. I imagine that you will have had the opportunity to learn about these "new concepts", some trendy nowadays by the turn of the screw that has been given to the idea of space and design, combining the areas of pica pica and restoration with those of specialized jobs, virtually the establishments, very of the gourmet kind. You are giving such good results at these enclosures, which are making them obligatory gastronomic shops. In fact, the idea goes beyond borders and is extendiende by the rest of Spain. El Corte Inglés also second redefining their spaces Gourmet Experience that you have renewed in the central Castellana. In the case of markets, I am referring to the oldest, but refurbished new Mercado de San Miguel, next to the Plaza Mayor, and the Market St. Antonnear Chueca, more modern and functional (even has parking). Both tend to be crowded with tourists and locals who make it somewhat uncomfortable to hours and days tip by the huge number of people who visit it. The best time to drink is the appetizer pure and hard (no more allas of twelve and a half or one evening), later is impossible to be somewhat comfortable. Anyway, if you have not had the opportunity to know them, do not fail to check them out. They are worth as a design, concept and working models.
I'd dare give you some recommendations: At the San Miguel market, you should try Burger Nostra, which offers more than 30 different types of burgers. You go crazy deciding which one you choose. At the San Antón market, you can't stop taking some croquettes of the great variety that has Victor Montes The cupboard, and in the Gourmet Experience of the English Court of Castellana, I suggest you to try the potato salad of The Machine Castellana, is impressive (the best I have ever tasted), and you finish with some of the innovative cakes of flour.
- Difficulty level: intermediate
- Preparation time: 45 min. (separate broth)
- Seating: 4 persons
- 400 Gr. rice pump (approx. 3 cups) €1,50
- 4 large prawns (otherwise, only the frozen shrimps are may be) €18.00. Almost no one added them, but my I love the background that lets you to paella when I trituro them, as we will see later, but not necessary to s for black rice.
- 5 shrimps of the frozen €3.25
- 4 clean pieces of monkfish and cleaved €3.18
- 200 gr. shrimp rice €1.69
- 1 cuttlefish clean cut in dices €6.37
- 2 tomatoes without seeds and grated 0.19 branch
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled, without threads and cut sliced €0.15
- Hot fish stock or broth: double and something more than rice, as 7 cups (in default, natural stock of fish brand Aneto) €3.31. I advise you do the once fish broth and freeze it in portions to use it in different paellas, I boil it for 45 minutes in a traditional way with: fish of rock (for example, red mullet), monkfish tail, chirlas clams, crabs, shells of shrimp, lobster or shrimps, hot peppers, oil, onion, tomato, leek, garlic, thyme, Rosemary, saffron, salt and water. Sale so exquisite, that it serves not only as a breeding ground for paella, but if the fish is cleaned, can serve as fish soup. It seems to me that I will make a post in the broth.
- 1 cube of the size of an ice cube of bite (mixture of olive oil, garlic, parsley, almonds and toasted saffron, all very chopped in a blender) €1,50
- Olive oil (as a third of glass) and salt 1.80
Total: €42,94 to be divided between four, 10.74 €/ person. This paella is more expensive by adding the lobsters, which if they are replaced by frozen shrimps reduces the cost. If lobsters are removed directly, becomes a cheaper dish around € 5,00 per person.
- 1 paella of inside diameter 50 cm. (for a layer thin rice, baking much better)
- 1 Pan (fire) of gas with gas cylinder
- Microwave or hob to heat the broth
- Mortar or blender and strainer
- Slotted spoon, grater for tomato, cutting, boards aluminium foil, various containers, etc.
I was recently at a celebration and I liked the White Wine ENate Gewürztraminer 2011 (D. O. Somontano), masterpiece of Alsatian wine-growing, is a wine that, very well suited to vineyards, shows a distinctly spicy ("Wurzig", in German). Its aroma is ample, with floral nuances. It has a silky finish and envelope. I think that it goes very well with this type of paella. Its price is $ 14.
1. as always, cut the garlic cloves in foil, taking care to clean off the strand, or heart Centre (thus we avoid to repeat).
2. Add olive oil to the bottom of the paella with the garlic. Once poured the garlic and oil, light the fire of the barbecue to medium-low.
3. once begin to be golden garlic, remove them to the perimeter and add the monkfish, which salted it, and do it only a bit (will eventually take over the cooking of rice), Act followed lobsters, we also make them little, and finally in this part the shrimps. All this ingredients remove them from the paella and reserve them until the end.
4. then add paella Centre Heads and clips of lobsters and prawns, crushing them and getting their juice in the paella. We cook them for about five minutes on medium heat and remove them and the reservarmos to the broth. Then add the squid and cook them over the rest that have left the shrimps, lobsters, heads and the shells. We have the squid for another five minutes to fire medium. Finally, in this step we add the tomato and remove him also for 5 minutes mixing it with the squid, also on medium heat.
5 Add shells and heads that we had booked into a glass of blender with a little fish stock to obtain the largest possible seafood flavor. With the mixer trutiramos all (very carefully with the legs of lobsters that are very hard). Once all crushed, passed it by an a colander and mix it with the rest of broth.
6. it is measured the volume of the 400 Gr. of rice in a cup (for example). In my case, occupy 3 cups (depends on the size of Cup you use). Therefore, reserve broth of fish about seven cups, 6 as custom sets of rice twice, and one more, to finally water demand according to go seeing the firing of the rice while it is cooking. I get to be heated in the micro stock (2 min) at maximum power. It is very important that the broth is very hot when we add it to the paella, since otherwise it would break the rice cooking.
7 Add the rice along with the tomato and cuttlefish, and for 4/5 minutes stir constantly over medium heat. Browning it we get a little "Brown" rice, which will help us to give final ease.
8 Add very chopped and crushed a spoonful of oil, garlic, parsley and saffron, which will give you a special touch. It is mixture while stir the rice with the rest of ingredients. The aspect that presents the paella just before pouring the broth is mixed and uniform.
9 we add to the broth sepia coloring black so that it acquires a characteristic color. Removed from everything. I usually use two envelopes of ink. With the hot stock, pour it and mixed together with the other ingredients. Broth (which incorporates the squid ink) just turn the volume of rice, 6 cups. Then, demand, we will see if it makes failure to irrigate with more broth to achieve the fluency of rice (we'll keep you quiet and warm). We tried salt, and add a bit more if necessary, taking into account that the broth of rice must be tasty generously, since it loses some salt in the absorption of liquid that makes the grain.
10 and proceed with the secret of cooking: we apply the Technical paella rice cooking If not see you even with confidence and ease to control the timing and degree of cooking to the Valencian type. We tried salt, let it 1000W heat for approx. 5/7 minutes, taking care that fire to spread by all the paella evenly. The broth boil and pompitas will appear by all the surface.
11 we will reduce the fire below, and will keep you about 10/12 min. It will coincide when it is little broth in the paella dish, at the end of time will have evaporated virtually all of the stock
12 test firing of the grain, and once fulfilled the time, water with half cup of broth that we still distributing it equally, this makes sure there is liquid even in the paella dish by evaporation.
13 covered paella with aluminum foil, and climbs the fire back to medium-high a couple of minutes so that evaporation of the last Cup, to take effect. The couple of minutes shuts off the fire, and let the aluminum foil, which rice to rest for at least 5/7 minutes and finish cooking.
14 stir paella completely before serving, and the rice in the dish will get homogeneous texture, since never become equally grains from the Center to the perimeter.
15 finite!. Taking care of cooking, and making a thin layer, will be sure to very rich. And if you like the aioli, don't forget to add a spoonful to demand.
Lola! I'll make this rice! That's nice!
I will tell you what...
Thank you beautiful! Being where you are, cradle of the black rice, is all a compliment. You'll see as if you add crawfish improved a lot. It is very much worth. I hope your comments to return. A strong Kiss