This chicken with Coconut Curry is one of those treasures that I brought from Sri Lanka and staying longer with me forever. The cuisine of Sri Lanka varies depending on the area, but in a same pattern.
However, when you get to the South, it is as if you were in country. of course that which are taken are curries, but creamy and tasty, more akin to the South of the India.
We take this in Galle, a city of Portuguese origin which could have fallen a week enjoying their food and shopping!
It is like being in Europe, a Portuguese city in the middle of the chaos of Sri Lanka, where the streets are ordered, no traffic and time seems to have stopped.
This Curried Chicken coco has the particularity that the chicken is covered with a mixture of grated coconut and spices and is fried, so it remains as a crusty layer to your around, but instead of bread, is made with grated coconut. the texture is similar to the bread, but the taste, Oh the taste! It is completely different.
This chicken curry with coconut take it in one of its restaurants and try it realized that already never could forget it, so I decided to bring it to you so that you could enjoy it so much like me. I hope you enjoy it so much as my.
I leave also the link to the video where you can see how easy that is to do it.
- 600 g of free-range chicken without skin or bones cut into chunks (I used chicken breast)
- 10 green cardamom pods
- 100 g of grated coconut
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander (if you don't use fresh)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder (if you like spicy add more to my me crazy and I always add more, but if not you wadding much, better to start small and add more compliant go steaming)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 70 ml of seed oil (I used sunflower)
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 large Zucchini
- 1 can of coconut milk (400 ml approximately)
- 1 chile Red
- 400 g of green broccoli cut into flowers or small branch
1. salt the chicken. Chop the onion and the garlic cloves. Book. Chop the zucchini. Book.
2. open the pods of cardamom and with help of a mortar, grinding seeds.
3. in a bowl, mix the grated coconut, coriander, chili, curry and cardamom and mix. Add the chicken pieces and mix taking care that the pieces are well breaded in the mix.
4. heat the oil in a pan and fry the chicken to Brown it well on all sides. book.
5. in the same saucepan, sauté the onion and garlic (FRY over low heat until the onion is transparent). When you are ready, add the pieces of Zucchini, increase heat and cook.
6. then add the chicken and coconut milk and cook over low heat for about 10-15 minutes until chicken is tender. After this time, add finely chopped coriander bunch and composited
7, while both cook broccoli. To do this in a pot, we will put water to boil. When it is boiling, place the steamer, and cook about 5 minutes (if they are bigger you will need more time).
8 serve curry with broccoli and end with a few small pieces of red chilli.
- Accompany long rice
- Prepare in advance even freeze it once prepared
- Difficulty: easy
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Servings: 5