A long time ago that my son was asking me to do Ice Violet. The use of violets in the pastry is something very English, but also very madrileño and today let's them use this ice cream of violets that you going to be crazy...
Was I too small when my grandfather brought us in Madrid Candy of La Violeta, a beautiful cardboard boxes filled with small violet candies with a very distinctive flavor and that my I loved. My brothers them were very cheesy but I was happy whenever an of those boxes fell on my hands. In addition, I loved the color of these small trinkets that I have never ceased to take and which today I present in the form of violet ice cream.
When we went to live to Madrid, one afternoon I took my son to Violet and it simply hallucinated smell and color of this small shop Plaza de Canalejas where I still go buy purple candied or crystallized, which are Violet flower petals frosted in sugar so they remain crisp and which give a unique touch to many of my salads and with that I am always surprised to my guests.
Today however, give the touch perfect to this Violet ice cream. You can do it with violet jam or pasta of violets. I prefer to use the pasta because they give this beautiful color to my ice creams and creams, but if you prefer you can use the jam and give a little color with violet dye.
- 500 ml milk €0,35
- 500 ml. cream of milk €1.50
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract €0.55
- 240 ml of glucose and karo syrup (can use honey but I prefer not to use it because it gives much taste and is not what we seek here. Only that the ice cream not crystallized) €1,00
- 8 room-temperature egg yolks €0.80
- 300 g sugar €0.22
- 1/3 teaspoon salt €0.01
- 4 tablespoons paste violet or violet €1.32 jam
- coloring - optional - I do not did I lack €0.15
- 2 tablespoons candied violets or €1,80 violet candies
Total €7.70 per two-liter (ration out €0,64) for this ice cream, which in addition to surprise you will become one of your Favorites. You'll see.
1. prepare an ice bucket with ice and book.
First 2.Preparemos our ice cream custard base. In a bowl beat the egg yolks with vanilla and sugar until they are fluffy and have a color lighter
3. in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, heat the milk with the syrup from corn (glucose). When break to boil start to move and leave to cook for about 4 minutes.
5 remove from heat and slowly pour this milk boiled over the bowl of yolks stirring constantly to prevent the yolks are cooked. Return to place this mixture in the pan to fire medium for 5 minutes (average temperature is 84 degrees, which is the temperature yolks and milk should reach that to avoid poisoning and our violet ice cream comes out perfect).
6 strain this mixture in a container suitable for freezer (a simple frozen zip lock bag will be) and leave to cool in the ice for 30 minutes (spending a mix so hot to the fridge or the freezer, it may cause the freezer temperature to lower drastically threatening the conservation of the food that we have frozen) after 30 minutes assemble the cream and add the essence of violets. Mixed with custard.
7. Meanwhile, put to cool our ice-cream maker in the freezer Bowl. Pour the mixture of our ice cream and let it stir (and called the operation of freezing non-stop moving which makes an ice-cream maker with compressor), until ice cream has the right consistency (the time depends on the ice cream maker. I have a Gelatissimo and 60 minutes my ice cream is ready). To keep ice cream maker, you'll have to remove the ice cream last 60 minutes and mix with a spatula. There is that repeat this operation every time as many times necessary until ice cream has the proper texture.
8 serve with some waffles.
- You can buy some waffle cones and serve them on them
- Now that summer is approaching you can use this delicious violet ice cream as a filling one of your cakes and surprise your guests with a delicious dessert
- Difficulty: easy
- Preparation time: 30 minutes plus the time of cooling (if you have ice-cream maker in about an hour, and if you don't have about 5 hours)
- Servings: 10